Sunday, October 09, 2005

 

SUFFERING FROM SLEAZE OVERLOAD!



Now cooking at
THE CHURCH POTLUCK:THREE HEARTY FALL SOUPS FOR CHEDDAR LOVERS

Wow! Can't believe it's been a week since I last posted! Just been REALLY busy! Plus, I am suffering from sleazy politician burnout! But more about that later. First:

This is my favorite time of year! ML Baseball playoffs, the start of the hockey season, and canoe trips featuring mild temperatures and fall foliage! And how about those WHITE SOX! First playoff series win since 1917! And playing exciting baseball (man, that suicide squeeze the other night was ballsy)! While I am still sticking with my original picks of the Angels and Astros in the World Series, don't count out the Pale Hose. Man, it would be so cool if Chicago's first baseball world championship in 88 years came to the South Side, rather than to those obnoxious North side fans, whose treatment of Steve Bartman should earn them another 100 years with out a World Series win! Go Billygoat!

You can excuse the NHL for stealing that famous Mark Twain line "rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated!" The NHL set a record for opening night attendance with 98.1% of available seats sold, and all but four arenas sold out. Local TV ratings were also up by 2 percentage points over the previous opening night. And the fans saw REALLY exciting hockey! If the league sticks to it's guns and enforces the new strict obstruction rules, along with the changed offside and offside pass rules, we should see hockey like we saw back in the heyday of the Oilers and Islanders! As a side note, I should mention that I also saw my first hockey game in HDTV this week. AMAZING! I could be spending a lot of time at my grandchildren's house this winter! My Red Wings looked very good in their first two games, so there is hope for my winter!

My friend Bob Owens, my stepson Daniel Chmielewski, and I canoed the St. Joseph River from Union City to Colon in south central Michigan Saturday. The trees are just starting to turn, and it was a very nice trip. It was breezy most of the day, but fortunately, about the time we had to cross Sturgeon Lake to reach our take out, the wind died and the sun came out!

I discovered that Mute Swans can REALLY swim fast. I chased one for about 500 yds trying to get him to take off and fly. They sound and look so spectacular when they take off. By the time I caught up with him, the poor thing was too tired even to hiss at me. He just sat there puffing up his wings and looking at me. It was then I discovered that someone had clipped his wings and he couldn't fly. I felt really bad after that! And I didn't even have any snacks I could use as a peace offering. I'm sure he'll flee in terror of every canoe that launches on that lake from now on!
************************************************************************

As I alluded to in the post title, I am suffering from severe political sleaze burnout. I have been avoiding politics for my sanity's sake. However, one cannot avoid the news completely (and trust me, I tried).

Subway Bomb Alert:
New York? No, London! No, New York! WTF? Schmootzie has the Clown's eye view HERE

Sunken Ships: What the hell is going on in the office of the Vice President? First, we find that Chaney's Chief of Staff, "Scooter", leaked the name of an undercover CIA agent. Now we find that a spy has operated out of the VP's office for years! WTF? As keeper of the guillotine, I hereby decree that "the Dick" shall hereby be known as Vice President Loose Lips. He shall be moved to the head of the line when the revolution comes.

Adam's Apple Ann and George Willful: I suddenly feel like the Cowardly Lion in THE WIZARD OF OZ! "I do believe in the rapture, I do, I do , I do!" The end is near! The signs are everywhere! The latest:

George Will and Ann Coulter both wrote columns this week calling the Pres everything but a white guy from Texas, er, Connecticut! Both are demanding the Senate use their powers of advise and consent to block the President's Supreme Court nominee, Harriet Miers. There is a delicious irony to this, since in the past both have argued vehemently that the President has the right to appoint whomever he wishes to the Supremes (I prefer Mary Wells to Diana Ross, t.y.)!

According to Will:
The president's "argument" for her amounts to: Trust me. There is no reason to, for several reasons. He has neither the inclination nor the ability to make sophisticated judgments about competing approaches to construing the Constitution. Few presidents acquire such abilities in the course of their pre-presidential careers, and this president particularly is not disposed to such reflections.

In other words, the president is too lazy and stupid to understand the intricacies of judicial nomination and must have this privilege revoked immediately.

Coulter not only lashes out at the President, but at her fellow conservatives as well. According to Ann:
Unfortunately for Bush, he could nominate his Scottish terrier Barney, and some conservatives would rush to defend him, claiming to be in possession of secret information convincing them that the pooch is a true conservative and listing Barney's many virtues: loyalty, courage, never jumps on the furniture ...

One can almost hear her singing "
you knew damn well I was a snake, before you brought me in, hiss"

Read the entire
Ann Coulter column HERE
Read the entire
George Will column HERE


NUT JOB WACKO FORMER SUPREME COURT JUSTICE wants to be governor! Remember Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore. His refusal to obey a US court order to remove a Ten Commandments statue got him (and his statue) removed from office. Well, he's back, and running for governor of Alabama. Since the current governor is hugely popular, this seems to be a long shot. But.... it is, after all Alabama.

FINALLY: If you want a really good laugh, check out THIS



Comments:
those obnoxious North side fans
Hey! I'm a northsider... I do admit most of the neighborhoods around Wrigley are pretty snooty though. And who are YOU to criticize - terrorizing swans like that ;)
 
LOL! Good to have you back, um, can I help sharpen the guillotine? I laughed myself as the Conservatives got their panties in a bunch, couldn't help but reflect on how hard they came down on the liberals for daring to object to Dubya's power to nominate during the last go round.
 
Dick Chaney should be the first one on the block of your guillotine. I have had a feeling he is behind most of what America has been strapped with since 2000. I can't pinpoint any deep examples except Bush ain't smart enough for all the damage he is causing, someone is laying the plot and it ain't Laura Bush. This last batch of scandals is Dick ordering punishment down on his insubordinates. Is is invisible like a mob boss, everyone knows and no one can prove.
 
I've been following the Abramoff and Plame scandals and they seem to be overlapping.

The Abramoff scandal has a gangland murder in it!

What will we tell the children?

PS. GWB, when you have a chance take a look over at underground logicians site and look at the posts on global warming.
 
Oh dear god... I'm afraid to look... Lemme guess: God created Earth for us to use as we please, and who cares if we're destroying the Earth because Jesus is gonna come back any day now and take those saved ones away... did I get it about right? I just don't have the energy for that crap right now...
 
I bet your canoe trip was delightful. I like fall the best of all the seasons.

My pals in Chicago are from da Nort side, so watch what you say. I think they see the success of the Sox as being good for the city, though. When I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago, I pushed some buttons....so how are da bearss doin this season, eh? I asked...heeheheheeheheee
 
Roy Moore scares me like a diarrhea face mask.
 
LOL! Katy... you have the best way with words of anyone I know!
 
laura,

You just about got it right. Underground Logician claims that because the number of hurricanes is not increasing, that proves there is no global warming, so we may as well get in our cars and ride into the sunset.
 
I am all aboot TimTarts!
 
tim tart: the butter tarts you get at Tim Horton's. I used to drive from my folks in Pontiac MI to Windsor just to get them. I thought timbits were the donut holes you got at Horton"s..... so...

what the hell is a timbit (if not donut holes from tim's)
 
Somewhere in the archive, we once had a long debate about the relative merits of Krispy Kreme, Tim Horton's, and Dunkin Donuts. I still maintain that Krispy Kreme is the embodyment of style over substance. That clever marketing has convinced people that donuts that taste like Crisco covered in sugar are really good.

I love Horton's, and wish like hell we'd get one here in hoosierville.
 
GWB - First, Bush has no right to say "Trust me." He was elected to represent the American people, not to be dictator for eight years.

I can't believe Ann Coulter said this. Now I'm convinced that the real Ann Coulter is on an alien ship somewhere and they put a lifelike animatronic in her place.

Being on the Supreme Court isn't like winning a "Best Employee of the Month" award. It's a real job.

Another great line by alien animatronic Ann Coulter.

Harriet Miers isn't qualified to play a Supreme Court justice on "The West Wing," let alone to be a real one.

And another. I think I like this new alien animatronic. One thing I liked about the real Ms Coulter is her love of firearms. I hope the alien animatronic Ann Coulter feels the same way about guns.

As for George Will:
The wisdom of presumptive opposition to Miers's confirmation flows from the fact that constitutional reasoning is a talent -- a skill acquired, as intellectual skills are, by years of practice sustained by intense interest. It is not usually acquired in the normal course of even a fine lawyer's career. The burden is on Miers to demonstrate such talents, and on senators to compel such a demonstration or reject the nomination.

This is the first time I've ever agreed with George Will. Or maybe there are other issues, but his writing is so dry I could rarely get past the first paragraph.

These are strange times, my friend.
 
If nothing else, I'm glad the NHL is back because, oddly enough, the CBC ended it's strike just in time for hockey season! Funny how that worked out.

I remember the doughnut debate. Tim's now sells some very decadent-looking desserts as well, cheesecakes and such. But you can't beat the sour cream glazed timbits!
 
yes, indeed!
 
WC and I apparrently posted simultaniously. the yes indeed was intended for ZS, but works equally well for WC's comment too. I AM very fond of Tim's sur cream glazed myself!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?